Panum Crater

I decided to take a closer look at Panum Crater a plug volcano near Mono Lake. It actually
has two rims. The outer (my trail) was formed first and the inner built up over time.

 After driving in, there were two paths to take, the left trail was the plug
trail (inner) and you could see where it went down and then up. The other trail was the rim 
trail (outer), it looked more even and I decided to take the 'EASIER' route.

Boy did I not get a nice even hike. It went up, down a little then up a lot, several times.
When I thought I was about half way through it turned out to be about a quarter, if that.
And all of it in sand like pumice.

Here's the view as you drive up



It's kinda hard to see, but I'm on the outer rim. It blends with the background but I assure
you I am much higher. You'll see.



If you've see my photos of Mono Lake you know about the Tufas, well that little jut on the middle 
right is where I do most of my photographing. I checked the view I was seeing with the view my
camera saw and tried to match it up. As you can see I was a little ways up and away.


You get a spectacular view as you go around the circle. Here's a view of a small
portion of Mono Lake.



And here's a panorama. 



As I said it was up, then down a little, then way up. I leveled my camera to show the type
of incline I was walking. I have to say I must have a pretty strong heart because it
was beating pretty hard and I didn't keel over.



And finally an okay sunset.

 

Stay safe, then Go, See, Enjoy and Photograph
Dave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mono Lake

Nevada Northern Railway